Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ask Americans - Interview


Immigrants are everywhere not just in the US, but the exceptional thing about US is that it wants to be a mixing pot, to combine all races, cultures... and etc.   Conversion happens and takes time, however I believe it didn’t take too long in US as other countries took or taking. For example, Muslims are allowed to live in Makka (one of the holiest place for Muslims), but they will not get the citizenship of Saudi Arabia. Last week I interviewed a student 19 years old and she is from my dorm and in the same wing.   She told me that her ancestors are originally from Norway and Germany. When I asked her who came to US from her family first, she replied that her great great grandfather came and settled in the mid west.  It's sad to hear that from her family no one speaks German or Norwegian, but her grandfather knows a little.  She also told me that her great grand father descendants had got married with Americans, who are from other countries as well.  The interviewee also added that they are not practicing any custom or traditional from her original countries; which I consider is a loss. As we all know that; each culture has a unique touch of values which should be carried not left behind. The reason I'm saying this because I know people who are immigrants from other countries but still performing their culture and tradition in United Arab Emirates. Plus, culture is the literature and the art of a country to symbolize the country's culture where these immigrants belong.. Our conversation went on and I asked her whether she had been to her original country or any of her family members, her answer was "No" and also they didn’t contact any of their relatives back there, so in my point of view they are missing their real hereditary values and connections.  The reason behind her predecessors had came to the US was to have a better life away from hard life. We ended the interview by going to cafeteria to have our dinner.

4 comments:

  1. It is interesting that they do not have contact with other relatives in the old country. In the case of the girl I interviewed she told me that her grandmother still keeps in touch with some relatives in the old country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the ancestors just came such a long time ago that it is normal that the costums get lost. But what I don't understand is that the language gets lost. I am very happy that my parents taught me Czech. Well we lived in the Czech Republic for 5 years but still I am happy that we continue our traditions and keep up our language even though we live in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. I still have contact with my some of the relatives in the old country and even practising the native language that spoke by by my ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have lost their own customs as immigrants,what a pity......

    ReplyDelete