Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The UAE & The US value the family

The United Arab Emirates and the United States, both value the family. Before coming here, I thought western countries doesn’t value family and doesn’t respect the family. But I was wrong.
It is true the type of the families differ. In the UAE, most of families are big. It is normal in urban areas to have families living with their relatives in one house. I remember when I was a child, we (my family) used to live with my uncles and aunts with their families in one house. However right now the couples want to live on their own and they say they want more privacy.

In the US, the family members are less with three, four or six at least in one house. Parents give more independence to their children, that’s because they are individual society. As for the UAE, it is collective society; where uncles and aunts have the right on their nephews and niece as the parents have. They can treat them as their children, correct them and also sometimes they pay for their education.

Regarding the divorce rate, as I assumed, it is increasing in the UAE, according to local newspaper in the UAE ‘khaleej times’ declared that the divorce rate in the UAE has touched 46 per cent, the highest in the Arab Gulf Co-operation Council (AGCC)”. This was in 2003 and I think now it is more than 50%. In my country the values and the meaning of the family is disappearing. Too sad, but it is a fact

1 comment:

  1. Uncles and anuties also take care of their hephews and niece??? interesting...

    ReplyDelete